• Login:

Welcome to the Blueprint Central Forum.

If this is your first visit on our new forum and your are unable to login, Please retrieve your password. You may have to register before you can post: click the register.

IM Advantage
+ Reply to Thread

Makeshift Standing Desk - Did it help?

After 4+ years of sitting down all day every day, and some research into the negative effects ( http://health.yahoo.net/experts/mens...ull-do-all-day ), I decided to build my own standing desk as a test before purchasing the real thing.

This one http://www.geekdesk.com/ is the most popular from what I can tell, and features an automatic way to higher and lower it.

My stand up desk can be assembled and taken down in a few minutes, as It's just a bunch of boxes!

After testing for days.. I've found that:

Pros
    - Standing gives me less headaches.
    - Standing makes me have more energy.
    - My back pain is GONE when I stand.

Cons
    - Legs hurt after a while.
    - I go barefoot, probably not the best route.

I timed myself and the makeshift desk can be put together and taken apart in under 3 minutes!

I found that I have the best focus / energy... if I sit in the morning for just a bit, then assemble the "desk" after lunch, then disassemble again at night when my legs get tired.

Here it is, the beauty.

SEO is life

What does the cat do?

She's my backup link builder when my employee is sick.

Generally though, she just sleeps on the job and expects treats for nothing.

Ah, Cats.

Quote Originally Posted by paboeder View Post
    What does the cat do?
    SEO is life

Where's the buy now button??? My CC is in hand and ready to order now!!! lol

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by brink2012 View Post
    Generally though, she just sleeps on the job and expects treats for nothing.
    That sounds like a wife !

Ducks, head well down and runs for the hills.

Sounds like a good cat.
    Mine knocks all the papers and pens off the desk and attacks the mouse. Not very helpful.

You might try a super cushy mat for your feet like they use in commercial kitchens to see if it helps your leg pain.
    I think you can get them at HomeDepot in 3x3' squares.

P

Ahahaha. Buy a couple gfx cards, a new mobo, iPad, and a few boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by howdab2 View Post
    Where's the buy now button??? My CC is in hand and ready to order now!!! lol

Howard
    SEO is life

Check out this
    http://www.blueprintcentral.com/foru...ight=treadmill

Maybe we can get an update from Greg since this was posted over 6 months ago
    Drink kava to beat stress and anxiety. And if that doesn't work visit Hawaii and stay in my  Kauai rental! Sun, sand and ??

Desk for your home

Hi,
    I like your makeshift standing desk-- I have one at home that looks pretty similar (mine is a table, a chair, and a box though.)
    I understand trying out a homemade standing desk before you make the investment of buying one, but now that you've tried it, do you plan on getting a "real" one? (No offense, yours is just lovely-- and the cat seems to really like it!)
    I use a NextDesk Terra at work, which is what inspired me to "build" my own at home in the first place. The good news is, NextDesk just released a new, smaller and more affordable product which I'm thinking about getting to replace my DIY mess.
    I just thought you might want to look into it as well. You can check it out on their website.

Let me know what you think! Hope this is helpful, and thank you for the picture of your desk!

Natalie